Kappa Alpha Psi, a college Fraternity, is comprised of Undergraduate and Alumni Chapters on major campuses and in cities throughout the country. It is the beautiful realization of a vision shared commonly by the late Revered Founders Elder Watson Diggs, "The Dreamer"; John Milton Lee; Byron K. Armstrong; Guy Levis Grant; Ezra D. Alexander; Henry T. Asher; Marcus P. Blakemore; Paul W. Caine; Edward G. Irvin and George W. Edmonds.
It was the vision of these astute men that enabled them in the school year 1910-11, more specifically the night of January 5, 1911, on the campus of Indiana University at Bloomington, Indiana, to sow the seed of a fraternal tree whose fruit is available to, and now enjoyed by, college men everywhere, regardless of their color, religion or national origin. It is a fact of which Kappa Alpha Psi is justly proud that the Constitution has never contained any clause which either excluded or suggested the exclusion of a man from membership merely because of his color, creed, or national origin. The Constitution of Kappa Alpha Psi is predicated upon, and dedicated to, the principles of achievement through a truly democratic Fraternity.
Chartered and incorporated originally under the laws of the State of Indiana as Kappa Alpha Nu on May 15, 1911, the name was changed to Kappa Alpha Psi on a resolution offered and adopted at the Grand Chapter in December 1914. This change became effective April 15, 1915, on a proclamation by the then Grand Polemarch, Elder Watson Diggs. Thus, the name acquired a distinctive Greek letter symbol and Kappa Alpha Psi thereby became a Greek letter Fraternity in every sense of the designation.
To date, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. is organizationally and administratively mature. It moves steadily toward a tomorrow of promise, productivity and influence.
The purpose of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. is "Achievement through every field of human endeavor."
Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti-Inkster Alumni Chapter History
The Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti-Inskter Alumni Chapter was established December 6, 1958 originally as the Inkster Alumni Chapter under the leadership of William A. Sims, Northern Province Polemarch. The chapter leadership who chartered the chapter were Polemarch Dr. Harold P. Fowler, Vice Polemarch Alexander T.M. Campbell, Keeper of Records William C. McCollum, Keeper of Exchequer Arthur Meek, Strategus Jacob Blanchett, and Historian/Reporter Leo C. Clark. Additional charter members were Charles Adams, Charles Eugene Beatty, Sr., Edwin Douglas, Robert Evans, Robert Harris, Herbert Hill, Vernon Jackson, Arnes James, Laddis Ledford, Dr. Lamar P. Miller, Jess R. Moransee, Adolphus Palmer, Romeo Phillips, and Frank L. Smapson.
On October 9, 1970, the Inkster Alumni Chapter was rechartered as the Ann Arbor-Ypsilanti Alumni Chapter. Charter members on that date were Alvis Adair, Eliehue Brunson, Cedric F. Dawson, Theophilus E. Hamilton, Blondell Mosey, Warren G. Perkins, Jesse Rutherford, Charles Eugene Beatty, Sr., Godfrey Dillard, Kenneth Moon, Allen Peterson, Jr., and Esaw Peterson. Other brothers who were associated with the re-chartering were John Finn, Robert Gordon, Robert Green, Vanzetti Hamilton, John Mason, Frederick L. McDonald, Edward Moorman, and George C. Thompson, Jr.